Communication and Information Sector, UNESCO New Delhi Office
Functional Title: Research Assistant
Contract Modality: Consultancy Contract
Expected Duration: 6 months fulltime or 11 months part-time
Deadline to apply: September 9, 2018
Salary: INR 24,000-per month (full-time)/ 13,000- part time inclusive of travel.
Media Action Against Rape (Media Action Against Rape) is a Bournemouth University-led project that aims to analyse the processes involved in rape reportage in India through in-depth interviews with journalists. It will map the challenges national and regional journalists face, and the way they operationalize existing codes of practices, to produce a set of country-specific journalism guidelines. This will provide an evidence base for capacity building workshops with journalists and development of targeted journalism curricula. Working with UNESCO, MAAR will build capacity to engender sustainable impact- specifically, for rape reportage, journalism education, and resilience against gendered violence towards women.
Under the authority of the Director of the UNESCO New Delhi Office and the direct supervision of the Advisor for Communication and Information Sector, the Research Assistant will work with Bournemouth University academics and Post-Doctoral Researcher at UNESCO New Delhi, for 6 months fulltime (or 11 months part-time) in the South of India (more specifically in Chennai) to deliver the following functions:
- Conduct In-depth interviews with Journalists, Editors and NGOs in Chennai;
- Deliver transcriptions of the interviews on a monthly basis;
- Work in coordination with the Post-Doctoral Researcher based at UNESCO New Delhi for undertaking research activities related to the project;
- Work in coordination with UNESCO New Delhi Office and Bournemouth University academics to support capacity building workshops in the South of India;
Qualification and Eligibility Criteria
- Post-Graduate in relevant subject disciplines (media studies, journalism, humanities, sociology etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to speak, read and write at least one south Indian language
- Experience of working on projects with sensitive topics and vulnerable people, including gendered violence.
To apply, please send your CV in English by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The interviews will take place in Chennai on September 19, 2018. The last date for receiving the application is September 9, 2018. The nature of contract (full-time/part-time) will be communicated at the time of interview. Please submit the following documents while applying:
- Cover letter with subject Line for application via mail- “Research Assistant- CI”
- Resume in Word or PDF format
- UNESCO format resume: http://en.unesco.org/careers/media/3705